Monday, June 6, 2011

Shocked

..And Awed!!

So I've finally completed my Harbor sunset painting "Last Light". I've been working on it since October, and had at many times felt like having a bonfire and burning it to the ground. Good thing I didn't. After completing it last week, I entered it into the Artist's Association of Northern Colorado's regional art show "Celebration of Color" that my association group puts on yearly. I wasn't really expecting to receive any awards for it, as there were so many top named local artists in this show. In fact, we had 74 entries this year, and the quality of the work was astounding. Even the Juror David Santillanes (www.dsanti.com) said that he was really impressed by the quality of work, and said that judging this show was really hard for him. He's an experienced oil painter, and has amazing work himself.

Well, being that I'm VP of the club, I got to be at his side while he presented the awards Friday Night. I only knew who had won 1-3rd place, and Best of Show. Since I had to write out the cash prizes for them. I wasn't disappointed that I didn't place. I knew I wouldn't. However, I was completely shocked when he called out my name for one of six Honorable Mention awards!!! Funny thing is, he too was shocked that I was the artist that painted the piece! He didn't realize that it was mine, lol. I had only introduced myself at the show by my first name, and had not been with him when he did the actual judging.

It was so cool to have David tell me and the crowd at the show why he liked it so much. He said it was so striking, and he really liked how I stayed true to the design of the landscape, and made it realistic in the sense that the trees and objects stayed soft and blurry, yet the masts of the boats against the sky were sharp and focused. He was impressed by the richness of colors, and the over all feeling of the sun setting in the distance. Again, I gotta thank Michael Bailey for the use of his photos, without them, this painting wouldn't have happened. I can't wait to get a high quality pic of the painting to show you all! Prints will be made from this piece.

It's things like this that keep pushing me to pick up that paint brush, and keep working. Life has been crazy, working 3 jobs, and I haven't been able to put as much time into my art as I should. This lit the fire under me, once again. I am artist, hear me roar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment